Job Profile – Communications and Community Director
The Laurier Students’ Public Interest Research Group (LSPIRG) is a non-profit organization that envisions a society where people are empowered to be agents of change in pursuit of a just world. Through community collaboration, research, and education, LSPIRG provides opportunities for its members to be agents of social change.
anti-oppression, education, social justice, community, empowerment, environmentalism, volunteerism, innovation, accountability
Job Purpose: The Communications and Community Director is responsible for the visibility of the Laurier Students’ Public Interest Research Group (LSPIRG) and its affiliated events and activities through social media, marketing and advertising campaigns, and campus and community outreach. The Director is also responsible for the coordination and implementation of Rad Week.
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Locations, Period of Employment, and Compensation: The Communications and Community Director will work out of our office at 165 Albert Street (3F), Waterloo, ON. With 20 hours a week, this is a part-time contract position with a start date of August 13th, 2014 with completion on May 31st, 2015. Contract is subject to renewal. Starting hourly wage is $20.00.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the awareness of the organization among campus and community stakeholders
· Provide support on LSPIRG events that specifically engage membership on campus and in the community
· With the help of volunteers, develops and distributes awareness materials about LSPIRG and its events/activities, including posters, information pamphlets, weekly events calendar, and the PIRGER
· Develops and maintains communications capacity of the organization
· Promotes LSPIRG events, volunteer opportunities, and training opportunities
· Ensures LSPIRG’s online presence, including through the organization’s website, Facebook page, Twitter page, Tumblr blog, and email list
· Arranges on campus and off campus media coverage of LSPIRG events and activities
· Arranges and attends all campus & community outreach events
· Develops an outreach strategy in conjunction with the Administration & Development Director to engage members
· Responsible for development and adherence to the LSPIRG brand
· Documents keynote events and prepares post-event reports
Event Planning and Project Management
· Assists with planning for LSPIRG events, such as Rad Week, Anti-Racism Week, Careers for Social Change, LSPIRG programming for International Week, etc.
· Works collaboratively with other staff members, volunteers, and Directors of the Board in a non-hierarchical environment to achieve organizational goals
· Reports to the Board of Directors as required
· Ability to be creative and take initiative
· Various tasks and projects as they arise
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, online communications
· Experience in a communications-related field, such as publications, community management, or marketing
· A background in Communications, Marketing, or Journalism is preferred
· Familiarity with student service organizations within a post-secondary context
· Experience in a position of leadership
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule to accommodate evening and weekend duties when necessary
· A passion for the organizational values as stated above
If you have a passion for social justice and feel that this may be the position for you, our hiring committee requests you send an application package containing a cover letter that expresses this passion and relevant experience, a resume/CV along three references, one full page (8” by 11”) poster design, an example of journalism/writing under 1000 words, and one graphic (5” by 3”) that expresses one of the values as listed in this description. Watermarks are allowed and after the hiring process is completed, all materials submitted will be deleted from our system. Please make this one document saved as a PDF and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, August 4th, 2014 at 11:59 pm.
As an organization that embodies anti-oppression, social justice, and equity, should you have experiences with these you are encouraged to share them in your cover letter. We welcome applicants from all experiences to apply.