Mark your calendars - Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale Week happens every May! Seriously, this is a recognized thing.
On that note, and in support of Cedar Row Farm Sanctuary, Kitchener Ontario Animal Liberation Alliance (KOALA) was set to host a vegan bake sale in Uptown Waterloo. Unfortunately, cupcakes don't do well in the rain, the event was postponed due to inclement weather.
Despite the soggy sight outside your window, you can still get your ethical indulgence on. Our Administration and Development Director shares her favourite recipe for vegan cinnamon buns, found online at www.minimalistbaker.com:
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Earth balance (vegan butter), divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
- In a large sauce pan (or in a bowl in the microwave at 30 sec increments), heat the almond milk and 3 Tbsp Earth Balance until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees, or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola or grapeseed oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size (see photo).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted Earth Balance and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 - 1Tbsp cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 - 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8x8 square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp Earth Balance (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- Optional: Frost with dairy free cream cheese frosting or a simple mixture of powdered sugar and almond milk.